HAP Reading Questions Chapter 4 (up to connective tissues) Name ________________Date ____ Period ___
1. An epithelium that has several layers, with an apical layer of flattened cells is called (choose all that apply):
2. Match the epithelial types named in Key Choices with the appropriate description(s) in column A
Key Choices: a. pseudostratified ciliated columnar e.t. b. simple columnar e.t. c. simple cuboidal e.t. d. simple squamous. e.t.
e. stratified columnar e.t f. stratified squamous e.t. g. transitional e.t.
___lines most of the digestive tract
___lines the esophagus
___lines much of the respiratory tract l
___forms the walls of the air sacs (alveoli) of lungs
___found in urinary tract organs
___Endothelium and mesothelium
3. The gland type that secretes products such as milk, saliva, bile or sweat through a duct is (a) an endocrine gland (b) an exocrine gland
4. Define tissue
5. Name four important functions of epithelial tissues and provide one example of a tissue that exemplifies each function
6. Describe the criteria used to classify covering and lining epithelia.